Sunday, November 16, 2008

#2.3 2nd Jakso

The next week we started the 2nd jakso, which meant all new classes for me. My new classes are Biology, English, World History, an advanced Math class + 2 art classes and a sports class. One thing a noticed about my new classes was that people were finally starting to worm up to me a little! People who I had sat next to for the whole 1st jakso and hadn't said ANYTHING to me started to say "hi" when they saw me!! It was soo exciting.

I started to make friends my own age instead of the 18 year olds who were more confident in their English. Now I don't have to ask people to translate, they just do it by themselves which is
pretty cool, but sometimes the translations are sadly lacking. Like in History class. I had my book open to the right page (that's a game i play with my self, i try to get to the page the teacher says before anyone else dose ) and i knew we were supposed to read this chapter in our books. The title of the the page was "Antiikin Kreikka ja Rooma" and it had a giant picture of the parthenon on it. I figured out that it was about ancient Greece and Rome. When i asked
my partner to translate all she told me was that "dis is about uhh antique Greek and Rome. we read dis and answer dese questions" "oh ok...thanks" So i just sat there the rest of the lesson pretending i could read text book in Finnish. I do that a lot in my classes just sit and pretend i know exactly whats going on.

Luckily the textbooks all have nice pictures and Ive already studied most of the stuff that their learning now, so i can catch on to the general subject pretty easy but i still don't know what their talking about exactly. I can Do the stuff in math class which is cool because its the only class where i can actually actively participate in (besides art and gym) its hard though because i cant read the instructions, i only see the problem, so i first have to figure out what I'm supposed to do then i have to figure out how to do it. Its also the only class that i have any home work in.

I don't really like my gym class, but hey, i go to a sports school now so i guess I'll give it a try.My favorite classes are of coarse, the art classes. Ive done similar things before in other art classes either at DSA or some place else, and usually after a particular assignment the teacher will come up and ask me "have you done something like this before, and I'll say "yes I have"

One assignment was to design a building in Rovaniemi that would fit in with the existing architecture. I designed a hotel that kinda looked like the Arktikum a museum in Rovaniemi designed by Alvar Aalto, one of Finland's most famous designers. First we learned to to single and double perspective drafting with one or two vanishing points. Then we had to draft our design, then do a water color rendering of it in its location. Finally we had to build a model of it. I've had a lot of practice in this kind of thing from tech. It really made me miss tech!!
There are only 2 theaters in this city. One is rather large, it was also designed by Aalto. I think
its the worlds moth northern professional theater. Then there is a Student theater, which i though would be perfect for me to work in while i was here. I had some of my Finnish friends look into it for me, and one of them talked to like the technical director on my behalf. I filled out some forms and gave them to the theater. I Also E-mailed the TD with something like a resume and pretty much pleading with him to let me help with something. I received an e-mail back
saying that he was impressed with what i had done, and it wasn't a problem that i spoke English, they had some Italian guy work with them last year. BUT usually you had to be 18 to work at the theater, but he was thinking about making an exception for me. He said that they weren't doing any shows at the time but he would let me know when i could come down for something like an audition. I never heard back from him.
Nesli (Turkey), Me and Waka (Japan) in the city center

Time started moving ahead at full sped again. With people warming up to me I started to get invited to do more things with more people. Sometimes they would take me somewhere for coffee or dinner, or maybe a movie night at someones house. I started seeing Nesli (the Turkish girl in Rovaniemi)more. I ran into the Japanese girl in a cafe one day, and i started to see more of her after that.

It is kinda funny, time has gone by soo fast here, I feel like Ive just gotten here, but at the same time everything is really familiar. I know my way around the city well by now. I can't even imagine what life would be life if i hadn't come here. I miss everyone back home. Of coarse I do I miss them a lot, but i don't miss the actual place so much. I really love it here and if i Could just bring all the people I love here then I could probably stay forever.

Jätkänkynttilä brige in Rovaniemi

No comments: